Make a difference
Do you want to share your love of live theatre? Do you want to make a difference to the future of theatre in our community and our country? Supporting the Phoenix Theatre and the Department of Theatre makes a crucial difference in the education of Canada’s next generation of theatre artists.
Our department’s comprehensive philosophy means it is not enough to merely study theatre. We believe that students learn by doing and should be engaged in every aspect of the performance and production as an integral part of their education.
“From your parents you learn love and laughter and how to put one foot in front of the other. But when books are opened you discover you have wings.”
— Helen Hayes, Actress & Philanthropist
Our funding dilemma
However, to continue this important work, the department must fundraise to cover essential expenses for sets, costumes and props. Although our mainstage plays are an essential part of our curriculum, university funding does not cover the costs of producing these plays. Our ticket prices – deliberately kept low to keep theatre accessible to all audiences – only cover two-thirds of our production costs. We rely on donations and corporate sponsorship to remain fiscally responsible.
Please consider making a difference in the educational experience of our students by making a tax-deductible donation, establishing a bursary or scholarship to help students directly, sponsoring a performance or program, contributing to a special fundraising project, or leaving a legacy for future generations.
No matter the size of your donation, your annual support contributes greatly to the costs of paint, lumber, fabric and other essentials for the production of theatre. Individual donors are listed in the each play’s program and receive a personal letter from the department chair. Tax-deductible receipts are issued through the University of Victoria. 100% of donations given directly to the Department of Theatre are used to support department programming.
- Call the Box Office to make a donation over the phone at 250-721-8000 during box office hours.
- Give now online with your credit card through UVic Development.
Theatre students have one of the busiest schedules on campus. Between classes during the day and rehearsals four nights a week and all day Saturday, it leaves little time for a part-time job. Your support can help them achieve their best while at UVic. From entrance scholarships for first-year students through to scholarships for graduate students, help ensure UVic continues to attract the best and brightest!
Consider setting up an endowment fund for the permanent annual support of a bursary or scholarship award.
- Bursaries are awarded to students who are able to show financial need.
- Scholarships are awarded to students who show academic excellence.
- Leave a legacy or honour someone in perpetuity by establishing an award in his or her name.
- Designate an award for students in a specific area of study or specialization. Click here to see a list of entrance awards.
- Awards are attributed to students through UVic Student Awards and Financial Aid in conjunction with the department.
For details contact Fine Arts Development Officer Samantha Krzywonos at 250-721-6305.
Contributing to one of the Department of Theatre’s special projects assists us to reach long-term creative goals and to maintain our state of the art facility and theatre spaces.
Here are some current opportunities in the department:
- New lighting equipment and opperating boards
- New or restored theatre seating for Roger Bishop Theatre and Chief Dan George Theatre
- Endowed funding for annual guest artist/instructor
For details and recognition opportunities contact Adrienne Holierhoek at 250-721-7992.
A successful business recognizes the benefits of working together, with your clients, your neighbours, and your community. There is strength in numbers. UVic’s Phoenix Theatre wants to bring our numbers to your business. A partnership with the Phoenix Theatre offers important financial support for the cost of producing quality theatre, and it can also offer you access to:
25,000+community of students, staff and faculty at UVic
- Approximately 1400 loyal Phoenix Theatre subscribers (many for over 20 years)
- Almost 10,000 regular Victoria area attendees
Consider the benefits supporting us can bring your business:
- A donation to the Phoenix Theatre places your business name in each of our four plays’ programmes.
- Become a Presenting Sponsor of one of our plays, or a Season Partner, and we will customize a sponsorship package to serve your corporate goals.
For details about sponsorship opportunities and recognition packages, contact Adrienne Holierhoek at 250-721-7992.
Theatre engages us to think more broadly, feel more deeply and aspire to greater things. We have all left a profound theatrical experience feeling more human and more connected to our world. Planned giving offers the opportunity for you to make a difference and leave a personal legacy for the future of theatre.
In consultation with your financial advisors, our planned giving program can assist you to reach your philanthropic goals and ensure the intent of your current or future gift. Whether through a bequest in a will or through life insurance, endowments, and trusts, planned giving can also offer significant tax benefits while allowing the donor to maintain financial security.
For more information see the UVic Planned Giving or contact Fine Arts Development Officer Samantha Krzywonos at 250-721-6305.