SPOTLIGHT ON ALUMNI*
Weaksauce and Other Stories
OCTOBER 9 – 19, 2019
Written & Performed by Sam Mullins (BFA ’08)
Two-time Canadian Comedy Award winner Sam Mullins has been described as a “master storyteller” (Winnipeg Free Press) and the “Stuart McLean of the millennial generation” (Toronto Star). Weaksauce is the story of the summer that Sam turned 16 when he left home to work as a camp counsellor only to be blindsided by the first great romance of his life. This achingly angsty and tender coming-of-age story is a comedy of first times, second chances and third wheels.
Now, half a lifetime (and an incalculable number of romances) later, Sam will also premiere a new story about the bleary-eyed joys of fatherhood that continues to bring unflinching honesty, vulnerability and big laughs. Add in two short story-slam versions of Sam’s other award-winning shows, Tinfoil Dinosaur and The Untitled Sam Mullins Project, and you’ve got a greatest hits of his “Best of Fringe”-winning works that Now Magazine called “Fresh, funny and heart-poundingly alive.”
- “Weaksauce is first-rate theatre. Fresh, funny and heart-poundingly alive.” – NOW Magazine
- “Tender, witty and charming. This show has a BIG heart.”– Georgia Straight
- “Sam Mullins is that rarest of monologists.” – Edmonton Journal
- “Sam Mullins is a unique talent, a guy who could very well prove to be the Stuart McLean of the millennial generation.”
– Toronto Star
- “He’s a first-rate storyteller and comedian, whose life-mined material is both hilarious and profound.” – CBC
- “At a festival overflowing with world-class talent, you shouldn’t throw around the title ‘master storyteller’ lightly.
Especially with a young performer such as Sam Mullins, whose career ‘saying words in front of people’ is
only going to climb higher. But God, he’s good.” – Winnipeg Free Press
- 2017 Edmonton Fringe “Best in Venue ”
- 2017 Toronto Fringe “Best in Venue”
- 2014 Canadian Comedy Award for Best One-Person Show
- 2014 Edmonton Fringe “Best of Fest”
- 2013 Edmonton Fringe “Best of Fest”
- 2013 Montreal Fringe “Just for Laughs Best Comedy Nominee”
- 2013 Montreal Fringe “Best Script Winner”
- 2013 Vancouver Fringe “Critic’s Choice Nominee”
- 2012 Calgary Fringe “Best of Fest”
- 2012 Toronto Fringe “Best of Fest”
- 2012 Montreal Fringe “Just for Laughs Best Comedy Nominee”, “Best English Production Nominee”
- 2011 Winnipeg Fringe “Best of the Fest”
* The Spotlight on Alumni program invites our graduates to present their current work at the Phoenix Theatre.
Sam is a two-time Canadian-Comedy-Award-winning writer and performer in Toronto. He’s worked as a staff writer on CBC’s Air Farce New Year’s Eve Special and for five years on the CBC radio sketch program The Irrelevant Show. As a storyteller, he has contributed to This American Life, The Moth, CBC’s Definitely Not the Opera and the RISK! Podcast. His award-winning, critically-acclaimed solo shows Tinfoil Dinosaur, Weaksauce, The Untitled Sam Mullins Project and Grandma’s Dead have been performed all across North America. He graduated from the University of Victoria’s Theatre Program in 2008.
Subscriptions for 3 or 4-show packages are now available starting at $42.00.
Friday & Saturday Evenings
All Seats $28
Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday Matinees
All Seats $26
All Seats $15
NEW! Student Rush Tickets (30 minutes before every show)
Saturday Matinees: $21
Show Running Time: 120 minutes
including a 15-minute intermission.
Performed in the Roger Bishop Theatre.
Friday, October 11 at 7pm
with Sam Mullins and Peter McGuire
Join us for an informative lecture on the first Friday before every show. For Weaksauce & Other Stories, Sam Mullins is going in conversation with Professor Peter McGuire as they discuss Sam’s life as a touring Fringe artist and comedy writer.
Lectures are free and everyone is welcome, no matter which performance you have tickets for. The lectures are also recorded and audio files are posted here in the week following the lecture.
Some coarse language. Suitable for ages 16+