Each year, we hire UVic students through the Work Study Program to serve as lab supervisors, whom we collectively and affectionately refer to as “Red Hats“. If the SIM labs are open, a Red Hat will be on duty.
Our supervisors are usually found lurking near a highly identifiable red baseball hat, which is often perched atop their workstation. These helpful students are available to assist you with all things technical in the lab — from software and network issues to printing help and paper refilling — so please seek them out and ask any questions you may have.
Students interested in applying to work as a lab supervisor should contact Mike Huston via the information above.
Responsibilities of the lab supervisor
Power Up Lab & Advertise
- Power up some of the machines in the lab and ensure that the printers are turned on and stocked with paper
- Check the schedule for upcoming classes and, if needed, place the “Class in Session” sign outside Lab 215
- Inform lab users of upcoming classes
Welcome New People & Help Out
- Open a Fine Arts account and give a preview of the studios
- Provide technical support and general assistance to users
- Ensure that all printers are operable
- Keep track of general lab maintenance
- Pass on any technical issues you encounter to the SIM staff
Clean & Sanitize
- Sanitize keyboards, mice and desks
- Clean the glass on computer screens and scanners
- Tuck all chairs into the desks and straighten all keyboards and mouse pads
- Throw out any garbage
Enforce Rules & Security
- Enforce the rules of operation: *NO food or drink in the lab
- Don’t leave the labs unattended
- If you must leave the building, the SIM lab doors should be locked and a member of the SIM staff contacted (Mike, Dave, Cliff or Dan)
- Be aware of who is coming in and out of the lab
- Contact SIM staff or Campus Security (dial 7599 with a campus phone) in case of serious problems or concerns
Power Down & Lock Up
- Turn off all the computers in the lab
- Turn off all peripherals (including audio video & scanning equipment), but not the printers.
- Bring in the outdoor sign and class in-session sign
- Close and latch the windows in room 215
- Once no one is in either the classroom or the lab, activate the security system.