It’s that time of year when we welcome all our new and returning Fine Arts students! On top of the formal Orientation schedule, there are plenty of fun — and free — events happening all week.
- Hungry for the new school year? Don’t miss free pancakes in the SUB from 8 to 11am — with gluten-free options available
- There’s also a BBQ from noon to 2pm, running alongside the 11am to 4pm Vendor Fair, all outside the SUB
- SUB Fair features the return of Bands on the Roof — where, yes, bands play on top of the SUB roof. Featuring local acts Iron Skies, Royal Youths, Black Wallace and DJ Vortoozo, also running noon to 4pm, followed by a DJ party at Felicita’s
- Digitally hunt the wild Snorlax with a Pokemon Go! PokeSafari, from 5 to 7pm
- Movie in the Park featuring the comedy classic Ferris Bueller’s Day Off — from 9-11pm in the Quad
- Don’t forget to enter the major prize draw at the UVSS booth for a chance to win tickets to Rifflandia!
Then on Thursday, September 8, is the Fine Arts Welcome Back Party! Running 4:30 to 6pm in the Fine Arts Courtyard (or the Visual Arts building if it’s raining), this annual meet-and-greet is a fun way for all Fine Arts students, staff and faculty to reconnect with friends from across all the Fine Arts departments and meet the new first year students. As always, free pizza, salads, cookies and drinks will be served by Fine Arts faculty and staff.
Also on Thursday, there’s a Farmer’s Market running 11am to 2pm outside the SUB, and a Community Pit Cook hosted by Songhees community members and UVic’s Office of Indigenous Affairs, also at 11am. There will be opportunities to learn about and to help prepare the pit cook in the morning, followed by tasting and sampling in the afternoon. (Students are encouraged to bring their own utensils for sampling.)
There’s also a special Week of Welcome for Indigenous Students. Running September 12 to 16, this is the chance for new or returning Indigenous students to connect with the Indigenous community on campus. Meet our Elders-in-residence, LE,NONET Campus Cousins and Office of Indigenous Affairs staff, learn about Indigenous student groups and be introduced to student supports on campus.
But this is just the start of six weeks of orientation activities for undergrad and grad students. Upcoming highlights include the Vikes Thunderfest (Sept 9), Sexualized Violence Awareness Week (Sept 12-16), Co-op & Career Info Day (Sept 13), the always popular Clubs and Course Union Days (Sept 14-15), the Amazing Race Victoria (Sept 17), International Opportunities Fair (Sept 20), UVic Co-op & Career Fair (Oct 4-5) and many more events. You can read more about all these events here.