Congratulations, you are the proud parent of a music student! This is an exciting time for your son or daughter and you play a key role in supporting success.
Music students are very busy. Between classes during the day and rehearsals in the evening, students need to organize themselves to be successful.
- TIP: We recommend students use a day planner to keep track of classes, rehearsals, assignments and course contact information. They can get one for free from the UVic Student Society in September!
- TIP: Encourage your son or daughter to attend the “Getting Organized” workshop held each fall to learn how to balance wellness, academic classes, practicing, and rehearsals.
- TIP: Encourage your son or daughter to get organized and bring a lunch or dinner to school on very busy days. There is a fridge and microwave for student use. Keeping a UVic Campus Dining Card close at hand helps too!
- TIP: Try to find part-time jobs that are flexible when times are busy.
Take Advantage of Victoria’s Music and Culture Scene
In addition to the wealth of opportunities for music and music-making in the School of Music, the city of Victoria offers great cultural events with student discounts.
- TIP: The Victoria Symphony offers regular discounted pricing all year round to Students. Take advantage of this great opportunity to hear fabulous music.
- TIP: Pacific Opera Victoria offers Student RUSH tickets at the door of the theatre, 45 minutes before each performance. Get the best available seats for just $15, including all fees, on presentation of valid student ID.
- TIP: Choral groups like Vox Humana offer “25 & under” program. Experience great concerts free of charge. Simply come to any concert at least 15 minutes before the start time with your ID. The Early Music Society of the Islands also offers student discounts to hear top artists in the early music circuit.
- TIP: Tickets may be reserved at the University Centre Box Office online, in person, or by phoning 250-721-8480, 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- TIP: Tickets available at the door for all events. Concerts held in University Centre Farquhar Auditorium are reserved seating. Students, UVic alumni, and seniors are entitled to the reduced ticket price when offered.
Want to know what’s happening at the School of Music?
- TIP: Sign up to get information about upcoming performances, lectures, and events in the School of Music and learn about our alumni’s current activities.
- TIP: Like us on Facebook to hear about the School of Music. Or follow us on Twitter to hear more about our concerts and events.
- Parent Resource page
- UVic Orientation & Parent Orientation events
- Finding Balance: Supporting your Student for Success PDF
- Email the School of Music main office
Call 250-721-7903 or fax 250-721-6597