How to Apply to MA/MMus
Through the Faculty of Graduate Studies, the School of Music offers the following:
- MA in Musicology and Musicology (with Performance)
- MMus in Performance
- MMus in Composition
- MMus in Music Technology
The Master's programs require a minimum of 18 units of credit, with the exception of the unique program in Musicology (with Performance), which requires 19. The residence requirement is five terms, including two full winter sessions. The degree will not be awarded in less than two years from the time of registration.
Academic requirements for entrance:
- A BMus or BA in music or its equivalent from a recognized university (Musicology, Performance & Composition)
- A BMus, BSc, BEng or BA in music or its equivalent from a recognized university (Music Technology)
- At least a B+ average in the last two years (30 units) of undergraduate study
- International students must demonstrate fulfillment of the University’s English Competency Requirement; information on the requirement is available on the UVic Calendar.
The following should be sent directly to University of Victoria Graduate Admissions:
- The Graduate Application
- Official transcripts
- Confidential letters of reference
- Applications - Jan 15 of the year in which the student wishes to register.
- International applications - December 15
- Deadline for MMUS in Composition, extended to February 28, 2017
- Downloadable from the Faculty of Graduate Admissions and Records
- Or upon request from the Graduate Admissions and Records Office
All applicants are also requested to submit by the application deadline the following supplemental materials, directly to the School of Music, addressed to the Graduate Adviser:
- Applicants to the Performance and Musicology (with Performance) programs must audition live or submit a high quality recording of a recent performance. Applicants should contact the Graduate Adviser or a faculty member in their instrument well in advance of the application deadline in order to consult on audition repertoire and scheduling. In order to be considered for a Fellowship, the applicant’s live audition must take place no later than February 28;
- Applicants to the Musicology and Musicology (with Performance) programs must submit copies of two essays written for recent music history courses, including a senior thesis if available. They should also indicate their language ability in German and any other foreign language;
- Applicants to the Composition program must submit scores and recordings of recent compositions;
- All applicants are also requested to submit a one-to-two-page statement outlining their background, their goals as a musician and/or scholar, and their reasons for wishing to pursue their graduate degree at the University of Victoria.