Dr. Erica Dodd
Adjunct Professor of Islamic Art and Architecture
|The Face of Eve, in The Anastasis, 13th century|
Dr. Erica Cruikshank Dodd received her B.A.in the History of Art from Wellesley College in 1951, and her Ph.D. in Byzantine art from the Courtauld Institute of Art, University of London, in 1958. She subsequently studied Islamic art as a Junior Fellow at the Center for Middle Eastern Studies and Dumbarton Oaks, Harvard University.
Dr. Dodd has taught at several universities, and lectured at Harvard, Oxford, London, Michigan, McMaster, McGill, and Toronto among others. She has held Fellowships at Oxford, Dumbarton Oaks and Cairo.
Dr. Dodd taught at the American University of Beirut for twenty years, where she conducted extensive research in Early Christian and early Islamic art. Her early research was in Byzantine Silver. She is presently engaged in the publication of a Supplement to her book, Byzantine Silver Stamps.
While teaching in the Middle East she became interested in the way Islamic inscriptions were used in architecture and published a book entitled The Image of the Word. She is now following up on this work with a study of the Wazir Khan Mosque, in Lahore, Pakistan.
Presently she is an Emeritus Fellow at the Center for the Studies of Religion and Society, University of Victoria, where she is completing two books on Medieval Painting in Syria and the Lebanon during the Crusades.
Byzantine Silver Stamps, Dumbarton Oaks Studies, VII, l962
Byzantine Silver Treasures, Mongraphiender Abegg-Stiftung, Bern, l973
(with Shereen Khairallah), The Image of the Word, American University of Beirut, l982.
Mar Musa el-Habashi, near Nebek, Syria.The Pontifical Institute for Medieval Studies, University of Toronto. In press.
"The Image of the Word", Berytus, XVIII, 1969, 35-6l.
"The Monastery of Mar Musa al-Habashi, near Nebek, Syria", Arte medievale, 2nd Ser., VI ,(1992), pp. 61-144.