New community impact award
Are you a current or graduating UVic Fine Arts undergraduate who’s been involved with some community-engaged creative activity in Greater Victoria between January 1, 2022 and May 31, 2023? If so, you could qualify for $1,000 via our Community Impact Award!
The annual Fine Arts Student Community Impact Award will be awarded in Fall 2023 to undergraduate students who have demonstrated an outstanding effort in a community-engaged creative activity in Greater Victoria. Student recipients are eligible to receive funding of $1,000 or more.
Read about last year's 2022 winners here.
Entering, graduating, transferring, or continuing undergraduate students of UVic’s Faculty of Fine Arts are eligible for the award at this time. Activity must have occurred between January 1, 2022 and May 31, 2023.
For the purpose of this award, “community-engaged creative activity” may include (but is not limited to) any exhibit, performance, workshop, literary, curatorial, educational, digital, production and/or administrative role within the regional boundaries of Greater Victoria (Sidney to Sooke).
A completed submission package—including the submission form and all supporting materials—must be received by 5:00pm Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
The following elements will be required in order to submit your award application.
- A description of the community-engaged creative activity (maximum 500 words), including a title page with the applicant's contact information.
- A letter from an individual or organization demonstrating how the student was involved in the community-engaged creative activity (maximum 300 words).
- Two letters of endorsement of the project (maximum two pages and from different people than #1. The letters must be written by people who are not related to the nominee).
- A resume, CV or portfolio encapsulating the student’s work.
Nominations will be evaluated on the quality of experience, recognition and dedication to creative practice including contributions to, engagement with, and impact on the local arts community.
- Nominations can be made by any individual or organization in Greater Victoria.
- Students can nominate themselves for the award.
- Neither the nominator nor the letters of endorsement can be from a relative of the nominee.
- Students are only able to receive the award once, but can submit multiple nominations.
- All nominations will be screened for basic eligibility. If a nomination is incomplete or deemed ineligible, it will not be advanced to the jury.
The Fine Arts Student Community Impact Award recipients will be chosen by a jury representing the five disciplines of Fine Arts convened annually by the Dean of the UVic Faculty of Fine Arts, based on the criteria for the award.
The fine print
Approval of the recipient will be made by the Senate Committee on Awards upon the recommendation of the Dean of the Faculty of Fine Arts. The Award will be presented annually as part of the annual Greater Victoria Regional Arts Awards (or another suitable event) as determined by the Dean of the Faculty of Fine Arts and the Dean’s External Advisory Committee.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org